Monday, August 2, 2010

Evening "News?"

I generally like to flip through the TV channels at least once each day.  Normally the stations I tend to stop on are 24 hour news networks.  Because I am completely (dare I say) disgusted by what is deemed "news."  CNN Headline News did a yawn-inducing interviewing segment, talking to people on the street about Lindsay Lohan's early release from prison.  This is not news.  This is popular culture gossip.  And I don't need a commentator saying multiple times, "This is what the American people want to hear about."  Is it what people want to hear about?  Or could it be that you are running stories such as these, "assuming" that it's what I want to hear about.

I have no problem with popular culture.  I was a morning show employee of a top-40 radio station where every day I would eat, drink and sleep celebrity gossip.  Every half an hour though, we did news in our local city.  We never started our news section with breaking news that Lindsay Lohan was once again arrested.  It would have never been breaking news that Chelsea Clinton had her dad lose 15 pounds for her wedding, or Chelsea's wedding in general, simply due to the fact that, oh wait...it isn't news.

Just as entertainment outlets take the time for "real news" on occasion, how about the news networks take a bit of time for "popular culture" and stop confusing people as to what truly is "news."

No comments: