Sunday, July 31, 2011

Dreams Come True.

There are few things in life that evoke the raw emotion that happens when your dreams come true. No matter what stage of life we're in, we have wishes, hopes and dreams that often seem completely out of reach. 
But in that instant that they happen, our lives can change. 

When I was in middle school, I went to countless Washington Freedom games at RFK Stadium. I never played soccer (my life was basketball at the time), but I loved (and still love) watching it. The highlight of each game was win or lose, afterwards thousands of girls would line the first row and hold their jersey's, programs and soccer balls over the railing hoping to get their favorite player's autograph. For two years I hung over this railing until one day, my dream came true. I remember thinking as Mia Hamm got closer and closer to me, that I was actually going to meet her. I don't think I said anything other than "thank you" after she signed a now cherished Washington Freedom piece of memorabilia, but I still feel the rush of excitement when I think about that moment. 

I've grown up a little bit since then, and I can't really see my 23 year old self hanging over a railing to get an autograph of a celebrity I admire, but I respect dreams coming true. It doesn't matter how big or small the dream, or how young or old the dreamer. 

That's why this story from last week meant a lot to me:


So in essence, thank you to Mia Hamm and Josh Beckett for allowing at least two dreams to come true. And really, keep dreaming.

No comments: